Saturday, May 3, 2008

Colleen - I'll Read you a Story



Colleen (aka Cécile Schott):

That track also makes me think of a trip to the moon or something; on the other hand, I made the reference to coral because it makes me think of a trip underwater. In addition, when I attended a gamelan performance about two years ago in Paris, the performance began with this really large gong strike and hearing all the reverberations that remained afterwards was a powerful shock that stayed with me long after.

Taking lessons in Baroque music taught me to pay more attention to musical phrases. My music before was this kind of thing that rolled forward, and left little space for silence; I came to realize the beauty in playing something and letting it die, and then starting something else as a continuity and having that breathing space. The advantage of not working with a looping aesthetic is that, if you play in a more minimal way without looping yourself, either on the computer or with some pedals, then you can let the notes and melody expire and then take it to an entirely different place musically and melodically.”

Complete interview: click here

No comments: